COVID-19 Travel Sentiment Monitor – July Report
COVID-19 Travel Sentiment Monitor – July Report
Juil 14, 2020 · 5 min read

We have conducted a regular customer survey to assess the impact the pandemic has on the worldwide travel perception. As shown in our previous reports (in March, in April, and in May), the July results confirm travelers’ eagerness to travel and explore the world, while protecting themselves and the others around.

 
While the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic continue to greatly impact travel throughout the world, wanderers are venturing out to explore their own country and even beyond.
According to our latest Travel Sentiment Monitor, more than two thirds of worldwide respondents still hope to travel abroad this year.

 
Other key findings:
1) Only 36% of the participants who will need lodging in 2020 say they prefer hotels over short-term rentals, because of hygiene safety factors in regards to COVID-19 infection risk. The other 64% say they trust the ability of short-term rental hosts to ensure proper hygiene.
2) Planned travel budgets for 2020 are shrinking, compared with our Travel Sentiment Monitors in March, April and May.
Since the pandemic lockdowns started, the short-term luggage storage company LuggageHero has regularly polled travelers in the United States, Europe and the rest of the world. This current customer survey was conducted between July 5-12, 2020, via online forms and ensured gender and age balance. Here are the findings in detail.

 

Destinations near and far

Since lockdowns were lifted, 31% of worldwide respondents have already taken a domestic trip, while another 19% have traveled internationally.

More than two thirds of the participants (68%) say they still hope to travel abroad this year. Of those, 65% say they will take a trip in a city, while 35% will focus on nature. Another 32% report that they will not travel abroad this year.
When referring only to the short term vs. the rest of the year, 40% said they would not travel abroad for a summer vacation because of the risk of infection. Another 19% said they were not planning to travel abroad anyway during the summer holidays. Half of respondents said they were more optimistic about the possibilities of travel abroad in the fall.

 

Flight safety

In regards to how the airlines are helping to protect passengers from getting infected, only about a third of respondents (34%) said they are confident about flying. Another 27% reported that even if they don’t feel confident about airplane travel during a pandemic, they will still fly because they have no other options. About a quarter of the worldwide respondents (27%) said they plan to travel in their own cars for extra safety.

 

Lodging options

Only 36% of the participants who will need lodging in 2020 say they prefer hotels over short-term rentals, because of hygiene safety factors in regards to COVID-19 infection risk. The other 64% say they trust the ability of short-term rental hosts to ensure proper hygiene.

 

No red carpet

With high COVID numbers in the U.S. and a recommendation from the EU that Americans not travel in Europe, it’s no surprise that 84% of Americans are feeling less-welcomed abroad these days. They fear that hosts might be worried about being exposed to the virus.
On the other hand, only 39% of Europeans perceive themselves less-welcomed abroad in the upcoming months, due to their countries` response to the pandemic. The British respondents are closer to the worldwide average of 56% who believe they will not be welcomed with the same enthusiasm as in the previous years.

 

Budget shrinkage

Travelers continue to cut their holiday budgets. When we asked worldwide travelers in March if they expected to maintain their planned 2020 travel budget, 47% answered yes. In April and May, those numbers changed to 35% and then to 38% respectively. In July, only 35% of respondents said they planned to keep their 2020 travel budget intact.
For those who will reduce their budget, the percentage of reduction has gone up, with more than one third (37%) saying they will slash their travel budget by 40% or more this year.

 

You can check out the full results below:

Did you have any leisure trips after lockdowns ended? Worldwide USA UK Europe
Yes, a domestic trip
31%
32%
20%
37%
Yes, an international trip inside the continent
12%
2%
20%
14%
Yes, an international trip outside the continent
7%
11%
6%
3%
No
50%
55%
54%
46%

Are you considering replacing international travel with domestic travel in 2020? Worldwide USA UK Europe
No
31%
27%
33%
34%
Yes
55%
51%
56%
59%
I will not travel at all in 2020
14%
22%
11%
7%

Do you plan to travel abroad this summer (if allowed)? Worldwide USA UK Europe
Yes, and I’m confident in the hygiene measures taken
22%
12%
24%
29%
Yes, but I am a bit worried about getting infected
19%
10%
24%
24%
No, I won’t travel due to infection risk
40%
55%
37%
30%
No, I didn’t plan to travel abroad, regardless the pandemic
19%
23%
15%
17%

Do you plan to travel abroad this autumn (if allowed)? Worldwide USA UK Europe
Yes, and I’m confident in the hygiene measures taken
25%
13%
26%
34%
Yes, but I am a bit worried about getting infected
27%
20%
31%
30%
No, I won’t travel due to infection risk
30%
44%
28%
17%
No, I didn’t plan to travel abroad, regardless the pandemic
18%
23%
15%
19%

Do you plan any city break abroad in 2020? Worldwide USA UK Europe
Yes, I will have a city trip this year
44%
30%
50%
53%
No, I will focus only on nature
24%
24%
24%
24%
No, I will not travel abroad at all this year
32%
46%
26%
23%

Are you confident flying this year? Worldwide USA UK Europe
Yes, I will fly, as I think airlines are properly protecting their passengers
34%
27%
36%
38%
No, but I will still fly, as I don’t have other choice
27%
29%
30%
24%
No, I will use my car for extra safety
27%
38%
22%
23%
I didn’t plan to fly in 2020 regardless the pandemic
12%
6%
12%
15%

Will you use short-term renting this year? Worldwide USA UK Europe
Yes, I think short-term accommodation providers can ensure proper hygiene
48%
43%
54%
49%
No, I prefer using hotels for extra safety
27%
27%
23%
31%
No, I will not need accommodation in 2020
25%
30%
23%
20%

Do you feel less welcomed abroad due to your country’s response to COVID-19? Worldwide USA UK Europe
Yes, I think international hosts might be a bit worried about our stay
56%
84%
59%
39%
No, I think international hosts will welcome me as before the pandemic
44%
16%
41%
61%

Did your 2020 travel budget change because of the COVID-19 situation? Worldwide USA UK Europe
No, I won’t reduce my travel budget for this year
35%
29%
40%
37%
Yes, I did/will reduce my travel budget by 0-20%
13%
11%
12%
16%
Yes, I did/will reduce my travel budget by 20-40%
15%
11%
18%
17%
Yes, I did/will reduce my travel budget by 40-60%
19%
21%
14%
19%
Yes, I did/will reduce my travel budget by more than 60%
18%
28%
16%
11%

*The survey was filled through online forms between July 5-12, 2020.
**For updated COVID-19 information you can check the official WHO data.
***Thanks to All4Travel and Aprendizaje Viajero for giving us a hand in collecting the data!

Check out the May survey report.
Check out the April survey report.
Check out the March survey report.
Read this article about coronavirus precautions and practical information to follow in the biggest cities.