Guide: Luggage Storage in Istanbul
Look here if you are looking for lockers and places to leave your luggage in Istanbul:
If you love to travel, there’s nothing more annoying than carrying your luggage through the entire city. Well, maybe you like to carry it around – if not, this is our coverage of where to store your luggage when in Istanbul, Turkey.
Note: In a few major railroad stations you’ll be able to find bright yellow baggage lockers. However, there’s a limited number of lockers and no way to book ahead. No Turkish Train Stations provides left luggage/baggage storage facility anymore.
A specially designed map of all known luggage storage locations in Istanbul:
Press the icons to see details about each location and price.
1. Luggage storage at Sirkeci Gar Train Station, Istanbul
Left baggage lockers at railway stations are bright yellow and easily recognizable. Just be aware that there’s only a limited number of storage space and you can’t book in advance.
To deposit your baggage:
- Look for a locker with a GREEN indicator and place your baggage in it. Be sure it fits completely. Close the door and keep it closed until the indicator turns from GREEN to RED.
- Go to the payment point and remember the number of your locker. Amend the hours you would like to use the locker and complete payment. Make sure to remember the costs for storage in case you leave your baggage beyond the maximum time.
- Keep your receipt ticket and check the information on it. You need to keep your receipt in a safe place and ensure that it does not fold, crumple or gets wet or you may be subject to a fine.
Insert your ticket into the reader when collecting your bags and then withdraw it to prevent it from getting stuck. Don’t leave your ticket in the reader for too long or you can lose it!
- Small luggage and handbags: 0-4 hours: 3 YTL (€0.50)
- Large suitcases: 0-4 hours 4 YTL (€0.70)
- 4-14 hours: For every hour 50 YKR (€0.09)
- 14-24 hours: + 4 YTL (€0.70)
- 24-36 hours: + 5 YTL (€0.80)
Monday – Sunday: 6 am – 1 pm
Use this Google Map link for address: Sirkeci railway station, Istanbul
- First piece 15 TL (€2.40) + each piece 10 TL (€1.60)
- First piece 105 TL (€16.80) + each piece 70 TL (€11.20)
Use this Google Map link: Istanberry
3. Ataturk Airport
Monday – Sunday: 24/7
Luggage storage at the airport is not cheap. You pay the following amounts to store an item for up to 24 hours:
—Plastic bag 12 TL (€2)
—Hand Luggage 15 TL (€2.50)
—Suitcase 18 TL (€3)
—Big Bag 25 TL (€4.10)
Use this Google Map link: Ataturk Airport
4. Istanbul Sabiha Gökcen Airport
Monday – Sunday: 24/7
You may leave your baggage, to the Left Baggage Office in the International Terminal on a charge.
Baggage deposit office serves guests 24/7 and the price is charged on daily basis and depending on the size of the baggage.
Use this Google Map link: Sabiha Gökcen Airport
Alternative: Luggage storage at Museums
If you’re going to store luggage for more than just a few hours it’s sometimes cheaper to use self-storage facilities at museums and galleries. But please be aware of sudden changes as Istanbul is on high alert for not leaving luggage behind at public spaces.
It is known that Istanbul Modern Art Museum has an option to store your luggage but call ahead if you want to be 100% sure.
Istanbul Modern Art
Luggage storage at Istanbul Airport
If you’re planning to visit Istanbul by plane you could consider storing some of your belongings at Istanbul Airport using the self-service lockers.
There is a luggage storage service at Ataturk Airport and you can use it with a fee named Baggage Custody Services. These services are offered on the Arrivals Floor of the International and Domestic Terminals 24 hours a day in two locations. Fees are charged on daily basis and are due when retrieving stored items.
Luggage storage at Istanbul Main bus station
If you have a ticket with a bus company operating lines out from Istanbul main bus station, Esenler Otagan, you might be able to leave it in the back of the bus company’s office. There’s also Metro station on the site giving you direct access to Ataturk Airport.
Luggage storage in Hotels around Istanbul
Some hotels do offer luggage storage if you have had a stay with, others might give you the opportunity you
Why you should store your luggage
Sightseeing and attractions just aren’t the same with a suitcase in each hand and a backpack. This is the key reason why you should consider planning where to store your luggage while shopping and exploring the city of Istanbul.
Besides the struggling with unhandy suitcases, they also put a physical strain on you as you carry them around with you. Therefore, left luggage storage is the perfect service for you! While storing your luggage in a safe place you’re able to enjoy your time in Istanbul.